Day 291 - Harnett




 

April 1, 2022

Gallery 763 holds 13 oil paintings and a number of sculptures executed between 1860 and 1890. The introductory signage notes that many of the paintings present a rather sentimental and traditional, if not conservative, view of American life that ignored the new realities of mass immigration and industrialization. In fact, the works on display do include several portraits of large families in comfortable and prosperous settings. But, after all, these were the people who could pay painters for their work!

Despite its relatively small size (perhaps 28" high and 24" wide)  William Michael Harnett's 1879 still-life, entitled "The Artist's Letter Rack," immediately grabs me because its trompe l'oeil effect is so successful.  I've never seen a letter rack and can't imagine how this one works, but the pink square that presumably holds the letters and calling cards practically jumps off the canvas; I had to get close to see that the work really is a painting, not a collage.  The three-dimensional effect is enhanced by the use of slightly darker paint along the inner edge of the left side of the frame to create a sense of depth. I marvel at the realism with which the letters are depicted - in particular, the torn edge of the blue envelope, with its white contents peeking out, and the precision of the postmarks. A newspaper clipping apparently pasted on the wall is so finely delineated that I think I should be able to read the poem inscribed on it - but I can't.  But what's the string at the upper left-center doing there? Beats me.

I couldn't resist including Frank Waller's 1881 painting of the interior of the Metropolitan Museum of Art, (then on 14th Street), in which a bonneted woman peers closely at one of the works on display.  She reminds me of yours truly, in different attire!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Day 349 - Charles Ray horse

Day 360 - The Wentworth room

Day 356 - Medieval sculpture