Day 292 - Eakins' "Arcadia"


 April 11, 2022

The title of the placard introducing gallery 764 is "In the Artist's Studio, 1865-1900."  Some paintings indeed depict artists in their studios, while others show craftsmen and scientists in their places of work. For me, though, what the paintings largely indicate is their creators' self-consciousness as artists.
Eight of the paintings displayed are by Thomas Eakins, and today's work, entitled "Arcadia," is the one that most grabs me, possibly because (and I am not proud to say this) I am aware of the speculation that Eakins was gay. and wonder whether  the canvas was meant to have homoerotic appeal.  The painting, which is about 44 inches wide and 40 inches high,  shows three nude figures, one standing and two lying on a lush green sward framed by leafy green trees in the background. Two of the figures play pipes of Pan. I can readily imagine that the lean youth standing at the right could be viewed as sexually enticing, although his genitals, like those of the other figures, are concealed.  

But when I think about it, and look more closely,  I suspect that Eakins' intent had nothing to do with prurience. Instead, in depicting nude bodies, Eakins presented himself as part of an artistic tradition dating back to classical antiquity.  The very notion of a sylvan paradise - Arcadia -  is, of course, a classical conceit. In addition, the caption leads me to realize that the figure at the left, whose buttocks are more rounded, is a woman; according to the signage, she has been identified with Eakins' wife, who was his former student and herself a talented painter and photographer. When I scrutinize her form, I further see that her hair is gathered into a bun at the nape of her neck.

Of course, Eakins' being married in no way refutes the possibility that he was gay. But the experience of looking at this painting is a reminder not to jump to conclusions. 

I do wonder whether this was painted from life, outdoors, or whether the models posed in a studio somewhere. 


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Day 349 - Charles Ray horse

Day 360 - The Wentworth room

Day 356 - Medieval sculpture