Day 169 - Dream carpet



July 18 , 2019

I walk into Gallery 463 and see the carpet of my dreams. But it is so large (perhaps 30 or 35 feet long and 12 feet wide) that I would have to build the house of my dreams to accommodate it! Made in Lahore in the mid-17th century, with a cotton warp and weft and a wool pile, its pattern consists of flowers, "sunbursts," and serrated leaves that twine their way along the ground. The forms on the field are "right-sized"; there is no sense of overcrowding. And while the ground is a rich red, the ivory, dark blue, turquoise, coral, and tan shades of the flowers and other designs mute and mellow the brightness. (At least, these are the colors as they appear to me in the dimmed light; I am not sure the photo captures the true colors.)  Interestingly, the border of the rug is more intricately patterned than its field. I could live with this carpet forever.

The gallery as a whole is devoted to the arts of the Mughals and other Muslim rulers in India from the 16th to the 19th centuries. There are many other objects I like a lot: a  watercolor painting dating from 1639 that shows  an elephant fight staged before Shah Jahan; an embroidered hanging in shades of pomegranate, gold, and dark green made in the 17th century for the English market (it was a gift to the Met from the V and A); and an exquisite 19th century octagonal jewelry casket made of nephrite inlaid with gold and inset with emeralds, rubies, sapphires, diamonds, and other gems. But fundamentally, my heart belongs to the carpet.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Day 349 - Charles Ray horse

Day 360 - The Wentworth room

Day 356 - Medieval sculpture