Reflections 9 - Near Eastern art

As much as I have enjoyed these galleries, I find I have little to say about them that I haven't said before. Upon reflection, one thing that strikes me again is what a mix of cultures and peoples this area experienced, and how that mix is reflected in the region's art. It will be interesting to bear this in mind  as I explore the Islamic galleries. To what extent, I wonder, is Islamic art uniform from one place to another? To what extent does it incorporate local traditions that identify a work as specifically Turkish, or specifically Moroccan, or specifically Persian?  How much does the answer vary with the medium -- ceramics vs. calligraphy, for example?

I am a little surprised by how warmly I responded to images of animals; they account for the large majority of works I chose to write about. But maybe my enthusiasm just reflects the enthusiasm of the artists themselves -- or the fascination that nearly all of us feel about other living beings.

The presence of Oasis Biblical Tours is a strong reminder of the propagandistic value of art -- whether this reflects the purpose of the artist or of later viewers of that art.  That is again something to keep in mind as I continue my encounters with the art of various periods and peoples.


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Day 349 - Charles Ray horse

Day 360 - The Wentworth room

Day 356 - Medieval sculpture