Day 123 - Ottonian ivory plaque


February 1, 2019

I circumnavigate gallery 303, a trove of medieval objects, in reverse chronological order, which initially strikes me as unfortunate.  But then I realize that I'm freshest for the objects I turn out to like the best, ivory plaques from the Ottonian Europe  (although it also strikes me as possible that I like them best precisely because I'm freshest for them). I do like some of the pieces with earlier dates very much, too, particularly some Frankish brooches and beads.  A couple of Frankish necklaces look as if they include some African trade beads, although I suspect that that is simply because of the beads' colors and geometric designs.

Three ivory plaques, which were carved between 900 and 1100, two in Cologne and one in Milan, and which probably decorated the covers of holy books, are especially appealing. One depicts Saint Mark at work on his gospel,  seated under a splendid winged lion. A second shows Christ's entry into Jerusalem. He appears to be seated not on a humble donkey but on a proud horse.

I am not sure I like today's object the best of the three -- there's something to be said for the simplicity and clarity of the other two -- but it's unquestionably the most complex and refined. About 4 inches wide and 8 inches high, it shows Christ seated in majesty within an almond-shaped space (a "mandorla," I realize). His left hand holds the Law; his right hand is raised in blessing (or is it teaching?). Around him are smaller figures of the four Evangelists, each receiving inspiration from his particular symbol. Thus, an angel extends his arms around St. Matthew's shoulders, an eagle perches beside St. John, an ox pulls St. Luke's eyes open with its hoof, and an upside-down (?) lion addresses St. Mark. I have to say that the angel and the eagle are far more recognizable -- at least to me -- than the ox and the lion, but the whole is really a marvel of carving.

I also learn about the Ottonians, a dynasty originally from Saxony that ruled lands that are now Germany, Switzerland, and northern and central Italy (hence the plaque carved in Milan) between 919 and 1024. The Ottonians aspired to succeed and  emulate the Carolingians as rulers of a great Christian empire; accordingly, Otto I, the dynasty's founder, had himself crowned by the pope. The Ottonians were great patrons of the arts, and  we are their beneficiaries.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Day 349 - Charles Ray horse

Day 360 - The Wentworth room

Day 356 - Medieval sculpture