Day 118 - Tibetan tantric art











































































January 11, 2019

Gallery 252,* which focuses on the art of Tibet, makes me realize how little I know about Buddhism, with its many strains and  traditions. Yes, I can conjure up the phrases "esoteric Buddhism" and "tantric Buddhism," but I am really not sure what they mean. I am giving myself a homework asssignment: to learn  a bit more about this subject, with the knowledge that others spend a lifetime learning about such things. 

(Later: I gather that tantric Buddhism marks a radical departure from standard monastic practice and involves spells, magic, visualization of the deity, mantras, and rituals involving alcohol and sex. It strikes me as somewhat similar to the contrast between rabbinic and Kabbalistic Judaism.)

Two works especially command my attention and raise these questions. The first is a 16th century stone statue, about eight inches high, of a dharmapala, a defender of the Buddha's teachings, standing on a lion. Although the proportions of the figure are dwarf-like, he appears really fearsome, with his bulging eyes and fang-like teeth; he wields a large sword. I read that dharmapalas were thought of as enlightened creatures guarding against spiritual dangers, but he looks as if he is prepared to ward off material dangers as well.

The second work is a painting on cloth dating from 1450-1500. I am initially drawn by the decorative elements,  especially the brilliant colors: the red ground, the blue skin of the central figure with his many waving arms, his gold headdress. And I completely miss that the painting depicts an act of sexual intercourse -- that the slightly lighter red shape in front of the male figure is, in fact, a woman, seen from behind and with her right leg thrown over his left thigh, while he holds her in a tight embrace with two of his ten arms. The caption says that the image depicts Chakrasamvara, a deity representing compassion, with his consort Vajravarahi, who embodies wisdom. Their union thus shows the union of these two basic tenets of Buddhism.  

Of course I've also heard of tantric sex, and now I am curious about how it works!

* Really gallery 253.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Day 349 - Charles Ray horse

Day 360 - The Wentworth room

Day 356 - Medieval sculpture