Day 88 - Laozi in jade


September 12, 2018

Gallery 222 contains works that reprise the theme of figural representation, this time presenting images of Buddhist and Daoist immortals. The gallery also houses a collection of jade objects given to the museum.  

One piece I notice is an 18th or 19th century rock  crystal statuette of a bearded "drunken immortal," who lies on his side asleep. I realize that I may be wrong in assuming that opprobrium was attached to drunkenness. Maybe it was perceived as a means of achieving a visionary, transcendant state?

Most of the jade leaves me cold, I confess, although I recognize the craft and skill involved in carving such a hard substance. But I can't help but admire today's object, a jade plaque about 10 inches long and perhaps 8 inches high. Dating from the  18th century and carved in deep relief, it shows Laozi, the founder of Daoism, riding a beast (a water buffalo?) along a narrow ridge trail in the mountains. The trail appears to be suspended above a grotto. According to the caption, Laozi is en route to meet the Queen Mother of the West, who is riding a cloud in the upper lefthand part of the scene.  I really like  the delicacy with which the trees in the foreground are carved and the way in which both the trees and the mounted figure stand out from the background.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Day 349 - Charles Ray horse

Day 360 - The Wentworth room

Day 356 - Medieval sculpture