Day 377 - Worsham-Rockefeller dressing room


 

August 29, 2024

Gallery 742,  the last of the American Wing galleries I've visited this second time around, is the dressing room from a house on West 54th Street that was owned by Arabella Worsham, the mistress and later wife of railroad magnate Collis P. Huntington and then purchased by John D. Rockefeller.  It's notable for its elaborately carved and inlaid cabinetry, which Worsham commissioned from a well-known New York cabinetmaker and which lines one whole wall and part of another. Worsham could check her outfit in two full-length mirrors; a third mirror is suspended over a marble-topped dresser.

The dressing room measures, I'd estimate, 22 feet by 18 feet- considerably larger than my living room, much less bedroom. It has plenty of drawer space for folded garments. But I wonder if all my hanging garments would fit inside.  I have too many clothes!


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Day 349 - Charles Ray horse

Day 360 - The Wentworth room

Day 356 - Medieval sculpture