Day 350 - Frankenthaler

June 26, 2023

Gallery 919 is a large space containing eight big canvases by prominent artists of the mid-20th century, including Mark Rothko, Jackson Pollock, Franz Kline, and Cy Twombly. I very much like the simplicity and rich colors of a Rothko painting, which is composed of long rectangles of red, black, and brown against a dark blue ground. I also like a Pollock drip painting, with graceful swirling thick and thin lines and splatters and splashes of black and white on a tan ground. Its title, “Autumn Rhythm (Number 30)," feels very much in keeping with its palette.

But I’m totally at sea when it comes to a Helen Frankenthaler painting, perhaps seven feet long and six  feet high, entitled “Western Dream.” The accompanying placard describes it as “lyrical” and “hallucinatory” - terms that seem contradictory to me, and meaningless in this context. Perhaps the orange and tan and dull green colors are meant to evoke the Western landscape. - the placard says that it suggests "landscape, sky, breeze, heat, and turf, with hints of flora ad fauna."   But to me, the painting evokes nothing. I don’t think it’s exactly ugly; I just don’t like it. Maybe I just respond more happily to the colors of the Rothko and Pollock paintings.



 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Day 349 - Charles Ray horse

Day 360 - The Wentworth room

Day 356 - Medieval sculpture