Reflections 5 - The South Asian galleries

What I respond to most in these galleries, I think, is the humanity of the Hindu gods. They do the things we do -- make war, dance, make love.  They are full of energy. And, except for Chamunda, they are highly sensual.

I am not sure how to think of the many images of Buddhas and bodhisattvas. Renunciation of the worldly has not been my thing. But this coming year, during which I have resolved not to buy new clothes (I have enough for the rest of my life!) will give me a taste of that.

Perhaps the highest accolade that can be paid is that the South Asian galleries make me want to return to India and to have Charly share my experience of the country's vitality and color.  

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Day 349 - Charles Ray horse

Day 360 - The Wentworth room

Day 356 - Medieval sculpture