Day 68 - Celadon vase


July 9, 2018

As I walk through Gallery 200 en route to today's destination, Gallery 202, I see how incredibly rich the Altman Collection is. Entirely different objects than the ones I wrote about earlier catch my eye; they are all beautiful.

Gallery 202 consists of two entirely different sets of display cases. On one side are more Qing ceramics. On the other are Japanese ceramics from the 1600s through the present,  along with works by non-Japanese ceramic artists who have been influenced by the Japanese aesthetic. There are works I like a good deal in each set of cases, although I'm bemused by or indifferent to more of the modern pieces.

Today's object is a Qing vase, from the 18th century, perhaps 8 or 9 inches high. I love the  purity and simplicity of both its lines and its glaze, which appears blue-ish to me but is described as celadon in the caption. I think it's this quality of simplicity that makes it appear timeless. It would grace a 21st century home as much as an 18th century one. 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Day 349 - Charles Ray horse

Day 360 - The Wentworth room

Day 356 - Medieval sculpture